Mom: Bring a chopped salad to the 4th of July cookout.
Me: ON IT.
And thus my Italian Chopped Salad was born! I loosely based it on one I found at cookieandkate.com. I didn’t try out the dressing on the recipe, but I’m providing it below in case I want to try out a new dressing the next time I make this. I have some favorites I like to make from my various WFPB cookbooks, but I’m up for trying a new one sometime.
Servings: as an entree maybe 3-4? as a side 6-ish
- about 2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- about ½ to ¾ pint cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced (quartered is good, but at least halved)
- ½ cup, or a bit less, thinly sliced pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- about half a large cucumber, sliced into coins and halved
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Optional: ½ medium head of radicchio, finely chopped (gives a slightly bitter taste)
Vinaigrette dressing I have yet to try myself:
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 10 twists freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, more to taste
- Optional: pinch of red pepper flakes, for heat
Do you really need directions to make a salad? Chop everything up and throw it in a bowl. There. Now you know how to make a salad.
If you’re making the dressing, just whisk it together and pour on however much you want.
Seriously, why do I need to write directions for a salad? Instead, I’m going to use this section to talk about how ridiculously good the picture is on the cookieandkate.com website for this salad. Who the heck makes salads look that pretty!?! I’ll stay in my crappy-unprofessional-pictures corner and pretend my salad looks as nice as hers. Go look at her website if you want to see a beautiful picture of it. I refuse to even try. You can make your own salad and do it all pretty then take a picture and send it to me going “This was so flipping easy! Why do your blog pictures suck so much?! You can’t even make pretty salads!” Well. Whatever. At least I know my salad still tastes good!